From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk @ gsp . org>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 00:07:45 -0400
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Mon, May 04, 1998 at 02:03:17PM -0700, Joe Smith wrote:
> It is not the list-manager's job to become the sysadmin/postmaster for
> the site.  [...]

Nor have I suggested that they do so.  I have suggested that they should
have a basic understanding of the mechanics of mail and mailing lists so
that they have a fighting chance of dealing with the 1001 things that
can and do go wrong.  As a mailing list owner, this is their responsibility.

Those who do not wish to have this responsibility should not attempt
to run mailing lists.

> Lists are for general people, not just the techies.

They certainly are.  But *operating* one, as opposed to participating in one,
requires a modicum of knowledge, easily acquired using online resources
alone at zero cost -- except for one's time.  Frankly, anyone too lazy
to spend a couple of weeks (maximum!) learning the rudiments of how all
this works deserves all the grief he/she will surely get, sooner or later.

Again, I find myself amazed that people are defending the viewpoint
that mailing list owners should remain in ignorance.  What's the problem
with learning something?  Or is it easier to just label that body
of knowledge as "just for the techies", attempt to dump the problem on them,
whoever "them" is, than it is to actually use one's brain?

---Rsk
Rich Kulawiec
rsk @
 gsp .