Subject: Re: Listowner Skills [Was: list bombing]
From: Darren Wyn Rees <merlin @ netlink . co . uk>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 19:03:39 +0100 (BST)
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Stan Ryckman <stanr @
 sunspot .
 tiac .
 net> on 03 May 1998:

>'Scuse me, since when does a listowner need to get SMTP working?

>From the start I assume (in my case, and IMHO increasingly so... it seems,
for other people).  - eg.  If you're running a list at an Academic
Institution with a paid staff & 'technostructure', yes (you're quite
right);  but if you're running a list on the back of old 486 in your attic or
garage (or wherever)... then you really need to 'get SMTP working' etc.

(Strange things is from my point of view, I telephoned one of my
ISP's technical support staff two months ago and asked them a
rudimentary question on SMTP and they responded ... "err... you need
a consultant for that kinda question."  So I bought O'Reilly's book
'Sendmail' and said, buggar the consultancy fees!)

--
Darren Wyn Rees  mailto:merlin @
 netlink .