Subject: Re: Spam mistaken for list posting
From: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg @ monkeys . com>
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 10:25:31 -0700
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM, ListMom-Talk @ lists . SKYLIST . net

In message <v04011701b1750615ae1b @
 [207 .
 34 .
 64 .
 181]>,
Grant Neufeld <grant @
 nisto .
 com> wrote:

>I received a very angry email from someone today.
>
>They had received a spam which looked to them like it had been sent to them
>from my grantcgi-announce mailing list. The "To:" field of the spam
>contained the address of my list (which is what made the recipient think
>they got it from my list).
>
>I was able to immediately see that the message was not from my list...
>Has anyone here had to deal with a situation like this before? Any
>recommendations?

Perhaps coincidently, while I was out of town earlier this week on a
business trip, it appears that someone (probably some spammer) took it
upon himself/herself to send out a bunch of spam E-mails which looked
like they were trying to sell my commercial junk E-mail filter.

Neither I nor my company had anything to do with this and it is clearly
a frame-up job intended to embarrass me and my company and to cause us
trouble.

If and when I catch the perp, I'm going to have my attorney pound his balls
flat with a very heavy legal mallet.

P.S.  Do a web search for `flowers.com' to get information about another
case in which a spammer forged the name of someone else's domain.  Basically,
the spammer was made to pay for the damages.

-- Ron Guilmette, Roseville, California ---------- E-Scrub Technologies, Inc.
-- Deadbolt(tm) Personal E-Mail Filter demo: http://www.e-scrub.com/deadbolt/
-- Wpoison (web harvester poisoning) - demo: http://www.e-scrub.com/wpoison/