From: Joe Smith <jms @ gallifrey . Tymnet . COM>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 10:31:48 -0700 (PDT)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com, rsk @ gsp . org

> > You don't need a college degree to flip hamburgers.
> > You don't need a college degree to run a mailing list.
>
> No one (that I'm aware of) has suggested that you do, so I don't
> know why you are trying to rebut a suggestion that hasn't been made.
>
> What has been suggested by me and by others is that you need to know
> what the heck you are doing.  If you disagree with this, then please
> find another Internet to use as your sandbox and come back here when
> you're acquired basic competency.

Sorry, wrong answer.

The correct thing to do is select mailing list software that does NOT
require intimate understanding of MX records, bounces, nondelivery reports,
etc just to use the software.  The software I'm referring do does handle
such details itself, without burdening the list manager with arcana.

Good software takes care of the drudge work so that you don't have to.
I cannot recommend majordomo or listserv because they have require too
much computer knowlege just to set up and run a simple mailing list.

I am arguing that the "basic competency" that you and Ron are advocating is
too high.  You seem to be arguing that *ALL* mailing-list software is as
difficult to use as majordomo, therefore anyone who is not competent enough
to properly install that package is not competent enough to run *ANY* mailing
list whatsoever.  There are alternatives, you know.
	-Joe

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Prevalence of mailing-list bombing