Subject: Re: findmail
From: Lazlo Nibble <lazlo @ swcp . com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 18:06:51 -0600
To: List Managers <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>
Cc: carlp @ vault . findmail . com, mcb @ GreatCircle . COM

On Wed, May 13, 1998 at 02:08:57PM -0400, Danny Lieberman wrote:

> It looks like someone has asked "findmail" to make an archive of my list,
> as I've received a subscribe request from them, which I've denied.  Instead
> I wrote a brief letter to postmaster @
 findmail .
 com, but wondered if there is
> a better address for them, and to insure that my list is not listed there
> in any way.

Try carlp @
 vault .
 findmail .
 com .
   If you are so inclined, make it clear to them
that they have no business trying to set up a public archive of your list
without asking for your permission first -- not like it made any impression on
them the two or three times *I* told them that, but who knows, maybe the
concept will finally sink in.

The host that serves my lists (and dozens of others) finally ended up blocking
access to all of its lists from findmail.com because of their repeated
attempts to republish list content without first asking for permission.  Damn
shame, too, because Findmail has a half-decent archive interface -- if they
had bothered to ask first instead of just subscribing and immediately trying
to republish the content, I would likely have been happy to make them the
official archive for the dozen or so music-related lists I run, but . . .

(By the way, I don't know if you're aware of it, Michael, but they're also
offering public archives of pretty much all of the greatcircle lists,
including majordomo-users, majordomo-workers, firewalls, and this very list
right here.)

--
::: Lazlo (lazlo @
 swcp .