Subject: What to do about site that indiscriminatly relay?
From: Mike Nolan <nolan @ celery . tssi . com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 14:03:22 -0500 (CDT)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM (List Managers)

This isn't a list management issue, but I think there is considerable
expertise in the subject among the subscribers here and I'm not sure where
else to ask it.

Since upgrading to sendmail 8.8.8 a few weeks back I have been noting
a LOT of rejected SMTP sessions because of invalid domains caught by the
check_rule filter, which logs the site attempting the connection.  As far
as I can tell, all of these are UCE/spam.

Here's the tally of rejected messages just SINCE MIDNIGHT;

> 77 abraham.ugrad.physics.mcgill.ca
> 18 cduweb.cdrewu.edu
> 72 ftp.senet.co.jp
> 46 info.sssi.com
> 18 outbound.Princeton.EDU
> 10 relay.ibenet.it
>  2 syse.senet.co.jp
> 19 www.art-in.com

Any suggestions as to what to do to 'encourage' these sites to fix their
security problems would be appreciated.  (And if there's a more specific
forum for discussing this, please let me know.)
--
Mike Nolan

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Host for a list?