Subject: Re: AOL: more trouble than they're worth??
From: Adam Bailey <adamb @ tezcat . com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 23:05:00 -0500
To: <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

On 5/25/98 8:33 AM, Marcus <carcus @
 bit .
 net .
 au> wrote...

>I know that AOL have been trouble in the past, but it seems that my List is
>particularly inflicted with more problems than most with regards AOL users.

That's possible. I rarely have a problem, but I don't run any massively
high-volume lists.

>I'd say about 10 to 15% of my subscribers are from AOL, and not a day goes
>by that one or more of these accounts has either a full mailbox, or has
>mail returned "service unavailable".

Read the Service Unavailable bounces more closely. Do they refer to the
person not accepting mail? That's something else, and is not AOL's fault,
but the user's.

>I understand this means either AOL
>users don't read their mail too oftern (or AOL set their mailbox limit WAY
>too low),

An AOL mailbox holds 550 messages. That should be enough for most people.

>or that AOL mail servers are continuolly going down.

They don't. There are occasions, but not to the tune that you're
referring to.

>[snip]
>Can ANYONE enlighten me on the best way to deal with AOL admin (ie what the
>hell is REALLY going on at their end)?

AOL knows where its problems are, when it has them, and their tech people
do their best. Keep in mind that it's a huge service, dealing with more
mail than any other system. That means there are going to be problems.
But I suspect that the problems you're encountering are not technical
problems, but careless users blocking their mail to avoid UCE.

--
Adam Bailey      | Chicago, Illinois
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-| "Do not take life too seriously;

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Do www.liszt.com ever give up?