Subject: Re: AOL: more trouble than they're worth??
From: Adam Bailey <adamb @ tezcat . com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 10:23:12 -0500
To: <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

On 5/27/98 11:49 PM, Ken Hooper <bighouse @
 type2 .
 com> wrote...

>>An AOL mailbox holds 550 messages. That should be enough for most people.
>
>I think it is absurdly small, but AOL never asks me for my opinion.

I'm obviously not the average user, since I get over one hundred messages
a day, but I also am online most of the day so it never has a chance to
fill up. But I simply cannot imagine that any average user's mailbox can
fill up like that unless they're on a lot of high-volume mailing lists,
or they don't check their mail even once a week.

Regardless, keep in mind just how big AOL is. As Chuq alluded to, AOL
already has to find space to store a massive amount of data. 550 may not
be generous, but I think it's reasonable.

Let's say the average email is 5k. I did a random sampling in my AOL
mailbox, and it seemed to work out to that. And let's say we want to
increase that absurdly small 550 to 600, a minor improvement. 50 messages
X 5k = 250k * (12,000,000 members * 1.2 average screen names per members
(1997) = 14,400,000) = 3,525,000,000. That's 3.5 gigabytes for just an
extra 50 5k messages.

--
Adam Bailey      | Chicago, Illinois
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-| "Do not take life too seriously;

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Do www.liszt.com ever give up?