Subject: Re: What to do about site that indiscriminatly relay?
From: "Brian J. Murrell" <brian @ interlinx . bc . ca>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 21:07:52 -0700 (PDT)
To: nolan @ tssi . com
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

from the quill of Mike Nolan <nolan @
 celery .
 tssi .
 com> on scroll
<199805271903 .
 OAA23839 @
 celery .
 tssi .
 com>

> Any suggestions as to what to do to 'encourage' these sites to fix
> their
> security problems would be appreciated.  (And if there's a more
> specific
> forum for discussing this, please let me know.)

The MAPS RBL http://maps.vix.com/rbl is carrying a lot of weight these
days.  A threat to be put on it seems to have some effect on some of
these folks.

Let me first say that in a lot of cases, all that is needed is
education.  The remote postmasters may not know they are being relayed
off of.  They may know, but may not know what they can do about it.

You first course of action should be to bring this problem to the
attention of the postmaster at the site.  Be sure to include resources
as to what/how this can be stopped.

If the remote postmaster ignores you or decides that he does not want to
fix the problemm, the his server(s)/network(s) are candidates for the
RBL.  You can send a "nomination" to the MAPS folks regarding the open
relay.  Instructions on that can be found at http://maps.vix.com/rbl/reporting.html.

I will warn you right now though.  The MAPS team expects to you take
reasonable measures to contact the postmaster of the offending relay.
That does not mean 1 e-mail.  It means several.  It may mean trying to
phone him if your e-mails go unanswered.  The RBL is not a punitive
device.  It is a device to be used to protect our networks from spammers
and those apathetic to the theft of resources due to spam and
third-party relay.

Good luck.

b.

--