Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1998)

Subject: Re: tracking the response
From: Lazlo Nibble <lazlo @ swcp . com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 16:02:25 -0600
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Wed, Jun 03, 1998 at 03:17:51PM -0400, Frank Rizulo wrote:

> I would like to advertise my list in several publications and track the
> response I get from each publication.  I thought of asking the subscriber to
> put a code from the publication in the subscription request -- maybe in the
> subject or the second line.  Will I, as the owner, see this code when I'm
> notified of a new subscriber.
>
> Is there another or better way to accomplish this?

I'm going to assume you're using majordomo, in which case there's no easy way
to pass this kind of information along in a subscription request.  You could
make sure strip=no and ask people to send their requests in the form:

 subscribe listname address @
 dom .
 ain (found it in wired)
 subscribe listname some @
 one .
 else (GOOD HOUSEKEEPING)

but let's face it, you're not going to get people to do this properly and
consistently.

My quick-and-dirty solution would be to set up a separate request address for
each place you're advertising in, as follows:

 listname-wired: "|/tools/majordomo/wrapper majordomo -l listname", rizulof
 listname-pcgamer: "|/tools/majordomo/wrapper majordomo -l listname", rizulof
 listname-harpers: "|/tools/majordomo/wrapper majordomo -l listname", rizulof
 listname-newsweek: "|/tools/majordomo/wrapper majordomo -l listname", rizulof

This will forward the requests to majordomo for processing (users would just
say "subscribe" in the body of their request, leaving out the list name) and
also give you your own copy of each request that you can filter, sort, and
count as you see fit.

Haven't tested this, so use at your own risk.

--
::: Lazlo (lazlo @
 swcp .