Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1998)

Subject: Re: HTML email
From: murr rhame <murr @ vnet . net>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 14:51:17 -0400 (EDT)
To: KHC <archken @ pacbell . net>
Cc: List Mgrs <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, KHC wrote:

> Does HTML email cause problems for most lists?

Yes.  I require plain ASCII only on all of the lists I administer.
Only a small percentage of folks can read oddly formatted email as
individual posts.  This problem is worse with digests.  IMHO,
specially formated email should only be used between two parties who
agree in advance on the alternative format.  For general use, plain
ASCII is the only acceptable format.  HTML, MIME or UUencoded
attachments are inappropriate for most discussion mailing lists.
There may be a few exceptions for lists which are expressly set up for
the exchange of binaries, documents and such.

- murr -