Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1998)

Subject: Re: Finding A Listowner
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: 10 Jun 1998 23:27:54 -0500
To: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rogerk @ QueerNet . ORG>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

>>>>> "RBAK" == Roger B A Klorese <rogerk @
 QueerNet .
 ORG> writes:

RBAK> optimally, the list owner should always be reachable at the -request
RBAK> address.  (While some people automate this address, it's not clear to
RBAK> me that's consistent with the RFC's, and I'd strongly suggest a copy
RBAK> of all mail to that address go to the list manager.)

See RFC 2142, which codifies this (not that I completely agree with it):

6.  MAILING LIST ADMINISTRATION MAILBOX

   Mailing lists have an administrative mailbox name to which add/drop
   requests and other meta-queries can be sent.

   For a mailing list whose submission mailbox name is:

      <LIST @
 DOMAIN>

   there MUST be the administrative mailbox name:

      <LIST-REQUEST @
 DOMAIN>

   Distribution List management software, such as MajorDomo and
   Listserv, also have a single mailbox name associated with the
   software on that system -- usually the name of the software -- rather
   than a particular list on that system.  Use of such mailbox names
   requires participants to know the type of list software employed at
   the site.  This is problematic.  Consequently:

      LIST-SPECIFIC (-REQUEST) MAILBOX NAMES ARE REQUIRED,
      INDEPENDENT OF THE AVAILABILITY OF GENERIC LIST SOFTWARE
      MAILBOX NAMES.

Thus, if you run list administration software, it MUST sit at -request.  Of
course you aren't restricted from sending a copy to the owner, but I run
software for the express reason of not having to see all of that mail.  And
for some reason, this RFC doesn't say anything about where the list owner
sits, leaving the situation muddier than before.

 - J<