Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1998)

Subject: Re: Spam Filtering and Messy Details.
From: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg @ monkeys . com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 11:16:05 -0700
To: Norbert Bollow <nb @ thinkcoach . com>
Cc: spamtools @ abuse . net, List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

In message <199806111108 .
 NAA24202 @
 pythagoras>, you wrote:

>Ron Guilmette <rfg @
 monkeys .
 com> wrote among other things:

>> On the receiving end, sites which receive mail to some large number of their
>> users (say 20 or more) at about the same time from a given IP address would
>> check the message after the first 20 for the presence of a valid X-Opt-In:
>
>Here's a weak point of your proposal IMHO... Someone would write a tool for
>spammers to allow them to send out their spam with bogus orginating IP
>addresses (using IP spoofing).

At the present time, and despite the already considerable incentives to do
so, there are no known spammers attempting to do IP spoofing.  I see no
reason why that would change if my rather simple idea were put into
practice.

-- Ron Guilmette, Roseville, California ---------- E-Scrub Technologies, Inc.
-- Deadbolt(tm) Personal E-Mail Filter demo: http://www.e-scrub.com/deadbolt/
-- Wpoison (web harvester poisoning) - demo: http://www.e-scrub.com/wpoison/