Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1998)

Subject: Re: Ron's idea
From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk @ gsp . org>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 20:22:24 -0400
To: List Managers <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

On Thu, Jun 11, 1998 at 10:01:51AM -0500, Mike Nolan wrote:
> What I think is needed is some kind of central 'transfer of payments'
> authority for the entire Internet, analagous to what the long distance
> phone carriers have.

This would kill the 'net.  If you think the arguments we have over
things like control of DNS are bad, the outright wars that would
erupt over this would make those look like minor skirmishes.  And that`s
without even getting into the technical details of implementing this,
a nightmare that I don't even want to think about.

It's been discussed before -- and among other things, folks have pointed
out that the web would never have evolved if this had been in place.

No, I don't think you're crazy.  But I don't think it's necessary
or advisable to change the cooperative model of how the 'net works,
and I *certainly* don't want to change it in response to the abusive
behavior of spammers, a move I'd consider tantamount to admitting
that they've won -- I'd rather pursue and destroy them instead.

Which reminds me...

---Rsk
Rich Kulawiec
rsk @