Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1998)

Subject: Re: Finding A Listowner
From: P Kayak <lev @ bloomington . in . us>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 23:30:21 -0500 (EST)
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: Rich Kulawiec <rsk @ gsp . org>, List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:

> > This is all very glitzy and nice but I find that it serves no real
> > purpose, and in fact may do harm by obscuring the underlying details,
> > an understanding of which is crucial to end users whether they realize
> > it or not.
>
> I find it serves a major purpose -- the purpose being <snip>

Rich's sentence that glitzy www "serves no real purpose" was a bit
extreme. However I agree with his post. Am very surprised to hear you
saying virtually all people with SMTP have a browser handy wherever they
are.

Some LANs have limited bandwidth; where the only way a person gets out
is with text.

(1) Virtually no registered complaints, does *not* prove (2) people aren't
getting frustrated.  It does not prove no one's getting passed by.

Numerous individuals in my community, at their handiest PC have less than
full iNET access.  Where I am is not THAT peculiar.  They may be, yes,
part of a minority at large somewhat under 10%; but your reasoning at some
points is like, "With our 90%, we've GOT what we need.  Forget about those
alternative funny-looking ones."  Many of us in the IT community have
prided ouselves in keeping a door open for moderately-small peculiar
groups.  I can't be sure I've understood what you have meant to say
certainly.  What I've seen in print here though, is pretending.

Sorry for the language; just trying to make my point.  I've always in the
past had to agree w y'r posts.

             					Paul
To have doubted one's first principles is the mark of a civilized man.
:					     - Oliver Wendell Holmes :