Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1998)

Subject: Re: Finding A Listowner
From: Manar Hussain <manar @ ivision . co . uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 19:06:22 +0100
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: List Managers <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

At 10:24 12/06/98 -0700, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:

>>But!  What is your idea?  If you see newsgroups having gotten to their
>>end, you might be thinking about some kind of communication which I better
>>try to catch up with.
>>
>>Http+list?
>
>At a general level. Basically, the stuff I've been doing since abou 1994,
>when I gave up on USENET and went elsewhere. Right now, Mailing lists with
>a number of web enhancements for administration and archiving. Soon, a
>system that's much better integrated between the two sides than I currently
>have, and which'll be accessible via NNTP as well.

Chuq - maybe I should contact you direct. Somewhat over a year ago we did a
pretty decent "web board" system that received and sent email - i.e. was
designed to site on top of a mailing list - majordomo in practice (all in
perl5). Things went pretty quiet for a while at our end for various reasons
but we should be coming back to at least work in mail2news/news2mail into it.

We'd spent a lot of time on the code and some bits of it are pretty useful
but we've had problems being able to justify much more work on it recently
even thought it's close to being a lot better (liek everything :). We are
certainly open to making it pretty much freely available if there is an
opporunity to pool that input into something that might get further ...

You can see a somewhat old version of what we did at www.democracy.org.uk

Manar