Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1998)

Subject: Re: Finding A Listowner
From: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rogerk @ QueerNet . ORG>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 09:36:29 -0700 (PDT)
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>, List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
> > List-managers should consider
> >if they can handle the load under the worst case -- where every subscriber
> >is a clueless newbie who sends "Dear Mister Domo, what am I doing wrong,
>
> I disagree. That's like saying nobody should drive unless they know how to
> fix anything that might happen to the car along the trip. A driver should
> be skilled at driving the car and able to handle emergency situations (like
> changing a flat tire), but if the engine falls out, it falls out. That
> doesn't mean you shouldn't drive if you can't do a ring-job on it on the
> expressway....

No, it means you shouldn't estimate your driving time based on best road
conditions, but rather, on near-WORST road conditions.  Nobody said you
have to be able to WRITE your management software -- just that you have to
have time to handle the requests even if most of them require manual
intervention.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE     rogerk @
 QueerNet .