Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1998)

Subject: Re: Finding A Listowner
From: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rogerk @ QueerNet . ORG>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 08:43:32 -0700 (PDT)
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>, List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
> At 10:52 PM -0700 6/10/98, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
>
> > I believe that is the intention of the section.  (Which frankly I don't
> > agree with, which is why I want the thing clarified.  But until it is, I
> > will write software that automatically sits at -request.)
>
> Which is what I do. but I make sure that -request points a person at an
> address where a real human can be contacted if necessary.

That's why I run "request-answer" there, with mail forwarded to the list
owner.  90% of the mail to the -request address is an invalid command
anyway, because most people who have ever heard of -request expect it to
send plain text to an owner, not formatted parseable commands.  Most folks
who are expecting an automated processor send their mail to majordomo or
listserv anyway.  And most people who are too stupid to put it together
send it to the posting address.

> I sometimes get the feeling that the people who write these "thou
> shalt" docs run one or two lists with 100 users who never change e-mail
> addresses...

Well, we're at 100+ lists (plus digests plus hidden owner lists), and
about 30,000 aggregated subscriptions -- not huge, but not tiny.  And the
number of staggeringly frustrated notes we get a week indicate that the
process has to become RADICALLY simpler... which means both better
engineering and a shorter path to a human.  List-managers should consider
if they can handle the load under the worst case -- where every subscriber
is a clueless newbie who sends "Dear Mister Domo, what am I doing wrong,
and why aren't you letting me on the list -- can you give me your
telephone number so we can do this the easy way, and are you listed under
'Domo' in the San Francisco directory?" messages -- and if not, find help.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE     rogerk @
 QueerNet .