Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1998)

Subject: Re: Spam Filtering and Messy Details.
From: Stan Ryckman <stanr @ sunspot . tiac . net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 00:51:51 -0400
To: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg @ monkeys . com>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 02:58 PM 6/9/98 -0700, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

>[This message is being cross-posted to both the spamtools mailing list
> and also to the List-Managers mailing lists, since it really has a
> lot of relevance to both audiences.]

[and I have removed spamtools since I'm not subscribed.]

[long proposal snipped]

1. If the entire message isn't used to generate the key, rather than just
the date and time, spammers can just subscribe to existing mailing lists
and "steal" headers, fill in their own body, and send to their CD-ROM
list of names.  This will be worse than now, since it will "look like" mail
from a legit list and/or list-posters but will in fact be spam.  (Sure, the
times will be a little old -- but the spammers won't care.)

2. You'll have to get the major MLM software players to go along with
this to even have a chance.  My list is LISTSERV(tm), and I can't
even add a simple, unvarying "Precedence: List" header though I want to,
never mind generate a PGP (or whatever) type of header.  And it takes YEARS
for upgrades to fully propagate to all the LISTSERV sites (though I think
there is one being planned for required Y2K fixes by 01 Jan 2000).

Cheers,
Stan

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: [spamtools] Spam Filtering and Messy Details.