Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1998)

Subject: Re: Finding A Listowner
From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk @ gsp . org>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 07:02:18 -0400
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM
Cc: Eric Thomas <ERIC @ VM . SE . LSOFT . COM>

On Thu, Jun 11, 1998 at 04:08:33PM +0200, Eric Thomas wrote:
> I am confident that
> the  party line  will be  that we  only have  ourselves to  blame as  the
> working group  was clearly announced on  some IETF mailing list  we don't
> have the  time to read  because every  other message is  "unsubscribe" or
> then  a  keynote  address  about  top-level domains,

I find the time to read the mailing lists relevant to my work on the
Internet and I'm a one-person company.  If you cannot find the time
to do so, then I suggest you abandon efforts to craft software for
the Internet community.  Yes, it's a pain in the ass.  Yes, it's
a time-sink.  Yes, such mailing lists are often full of off-topic
arguments.  Tough.  Deal with it.

> that your average  reader will of course assume that  we were involved in
> drafting the document and that we endorse it. In fact we had no knowledge
> of its existence, and  we don't endorse it at all  because the wording is

Whether you endorse it or not doesn't matter.  You're expected to abide
by it.  There are a heck of a lot of RFCs that *I* don't endorse either,
but I am expected to write software which complies with them.  I have,
as you do, my opportunities to argue for updates or changes.  If I don't
exercise them, I have only myself to blame -- and the same goes for you.

> Anyway,  L-Soft will  continue to  use -REQUEST  for the
> human contact + autoresponder, and -SERVER for the command address.

Then L-Soft's software will be considered in violation of Internet standards,
and I will recommend to every list manager, end user, network adminstrator
and everyone else that I come into contact with that they avoid it or
remove it until such time as it complies with this RFC.

I find your attitude incredibly arrogant.  How dare you willfully distribute
a product which you *know* violates one of the most relevant RFCs?
I'm sorry you weren't paying attention.  I'm sorry you didn't get your
way.  But this kind of deliberately disruptive response is a huge
disservice to the Internet community and makes you look like children
stamping your little feet in petulant anger.

---Rsk
Rich Kulawiec
rsk @
 gsp .