Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1998)

Subject: A really good point against Mike Nolan's idea
From: Norbert Bollow <nb @ thinkcoach . com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 17:54:21 +0200
To: rsk @ gsp . org
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com
Prefer-language: de, en, fr

Rich Kulawiec <rsk @
 gsp .
 org> wrote in reply to a question from me:

> > Do you remember where this has been discussed, and who proposed this
> > kinds of ideas?
>
> Vaguely.  (Hey, I've had a long day.  My brain is tired.)  Most likely
> candidates: check the archives of the com-priv and inet-access mailing
> lists, which are the two places that I recall seeing this debated
> at length.  I don't recall any mailing list dedicated solely to this
> topic, but that doesn't mean that there wasn't one.

Thanks a lot for the pointer! In reading some of that old stuff I've come
across a really good point which I had missed. This is from
http://www.scomm.net/inet-access/1994-09/msg00038.html

: People are much more eager to use a resource when it's not metered.
: Most people won't use a service for anything but the most vital needs
: when they hear the clock ticking in their heads.  The net's ethic
: is founded on volunteer work of all kinds, like the production of
: FAQs such as this one, the moderation of newsgroups, and so on.
: This work would be prohibitively expensive with metered use, and
: the amount of information available would be much lower.

Mike (and everyone else), is there a way around this kind of problem?
Otherwise I will not pursue Mike Nolan's idea any further.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
Norbert Bollow, Zuerich, Switzerland     Backup E-mail address: NB @
 POBOX .