Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1998)

Subject: Re: integrated delivery system [was: Finding A Listowner]
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 10:25:17 -0700
To: Mitch Collinsworth <mkc @ Graphics . Cornell . EDU>, Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

>Chuq, how does this differ from a mailing list that's gatewayed to a
>newsgroups (bidirectionally) and offers ftp and http archives?

At a delivery level, not a lot. But one key piece for me is that the
customer interface needs significant improvement. Away from multiple
subscriptions to a single, consolidated user setup that's tied to a user,
not an e-mail address, and which allows the users to do his configuration
from a single environment.

Most of what I'm working on isn't necessarily "new", per se (what is?) but
the overlying philosophy is different in that I'm working towards setting
it up so that users don't think in terms of "mail lists" or "web
interfaces" or "discussion boards". That's geek-think, and while that has a
definite place in life, I'm trying to think beyond it.

We, the techies, have to worry about transport layers and list setups and
interoperability. I want my customers simply to be able to say "what
information do I want?" and "how do I want it delivered?" and hide all of
the other magic from them. So  it's not necessarily new, but tighter,
better integration to make all those pieces function together well, and
technology that lets a user USE the tools instead of having to learn them...

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Plaidworks Consulting (mailto:chuqui @
 plaidworks .