Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1998)

Subject: Re: integrated delivery system [was: Finding A Listowner]
From: P Kayak <lev @ bloomington . in . us>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 15:43:13 -0500 (EST)
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: Mitch Collinsworth <mkc @ Graphics . Cornell . EDU>, List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:

> We, the techies, have to worry about transport layers and list setups and
> interoperability. I want my customers simply to be able to say
	"what information do I want?"
> and "how do I want it delivered?" and hide all of
> the other magic   [reminder: the medium is the message]
> from them. So it's...tighter...integration<snip>

If you're not careful you will find yourself (or maybe not) handling
information thought to be completely "context-free."  This would be the
kind    :)...   of information where a user could not guess at any
political slant of the fact-provider.  And where the user cannot trace hir
way back to a particular fact-former if wishing to follow up and ask
further.

I think (book-) library theorists worry about such as this.   |||:-)

Clean, high-speed systems often go stripping off contexts.  Even when they
don't have to.   Britannican anyway makes a densely packed item, yet does
send "control information" along too.  So it can be done.  (I'd say now
that I think, the publisher professional seeks to divulge as much of the
magic which he uses as possible.)  Now as long as individuals
do not get scoffed at for being FIDO-net users, your project offers
promise, I'm ready to grant, for making life better.

>From your post I was hearing for a moment a questioner not bothering to go
by _steps_ when you said "what information do I want?"

cheers

             				- Paul
To have doubted one's first principles is the mark of a civilized man.
:					     - Oliver Wendell Holmes :

From: Mike Nolan <nolan @ celery . tssi . com>
Next: Re: Finding A Listowner
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Indexed By Thread Previous: Re: integrated delivery system [was: Finding A Listowner]
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Next: Re: integrated delivery system [was: Finding A Listowner]
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>