Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1998)

Subject: Re: Finding A Listowner
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: 15 Jun 1998 16:39:00 -0500
To: nolan @ tssi . com
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM (List Managers)

 celery .
 tssi .
 com> writes:

MN> I guess I'm unclear on several things here.  Is this new RFC final or
MN> is it still in the 'draft' stage?

It's not 'new', and it's not a draft:

2142 Mailbox Names for Common Services, Roles and Functions. D.
     Crocker. May 1997. (Format: TXT=12195 bytes) (Status: PROPOSED
     STANDARD)

MN> Is the key portion cited here really that unclear, or is it just that
MN> some of us list managers don't know what it means or don't want to
MN> accept that meaning?

Well, read it for yourself.  What do you think?  I think the fact that
reasonable people can disagree about its meaning would seem to indicate
that its meaning isn't absolute.

MN> It strikes me as a bit high and mighty for some of us to claim that
MN> we're not going to play ball just because we weren't invited to help
MN> write the rules.

If we can't even agree on what the rules tell us to do, how are we supposed
to play by them?

 - J<