Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1998)

Subject: Re: integrated delivery system
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 17:52:00 -0700
To: nolan @ tssi . com, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM (List Managers)

At 11:37 AM -0700 6/15/98, Mike Nolan wrote:

> The only issue I see is that it presumes that everyone is conforming to
> some generally accepted standards.

Onl within a self-contained system. Within that system stuff has to
conform and be consistent. Outside of the system, you can do
non-comforming things with some limitations. One major one being that
you can't do things that cause user confusion with other, existing,
related systems (which is the start of my rant on mail lists that
accept admin commands on the posting address, thereby setting a user
expecation that hoses over OTHER lists....).

If you look like a mail list, you should act like a mail list, at least
to the point where a user familiar with mail lists won't either get
hosed on your site, or users used to your site won't get hosed
elsewhere.

> If there were generally accepted standards, we wouldn't be arguing about
> whether -request reaches a human or a mechanical interface, would we?  :-)

Exactly. And it's exacerbated because mail lists all do things a bit
differently. majordomo has changes frmo version to version, listproc,
listserv, liststar, etc, etc,. All are 90% common, more or less, but
that other 10% will kill you...

In my stuff, I've tried VERY hard to build systems that, if you're
familiar with "how it works", it'll work for you. But while doing that,
I've built other entrances that users who don't have majordomo
memorized cna use without having to memorize majordomo... And if I do
this well enough, well maybe users will be able to forget majordomo and
just use that other stuff. But I won't break it as long as it makes
sense to keep it around...

> Chuq, if/when you get to the stage of needing help on this, let me know.
> Coming up with a model that handles both the techie aspects and the user
> aspects is critical to its success.  We're probably starting to range a bit
> too far from the basic subject of this list, is there another forum for
> getting into the details further?

Thanks, Mike. I don't have a forum for this. At some point, I expect
to. Once I get some of the new technology up. I figure it's a great
thing to use to prototype some of this... (the old "eat your own dog
food" mentality...)

--
Chuq Von Rospach (Hockey fan? <http://www.plaidworks.com/hockey/>)
Apple Mail List Gnome (mailto:chuq @