Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1998)

Subject: Re: A really good point against Mike Nolan's idea
From: Mitch Collinsworth <mkc @ graphics . cornell . edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 98 23:45:28 -0400
To: nolan @ tssi . com
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . com

>And if you want to think about a major change that may happen some time in
>the next 10-20 years and affect us all, the people who philosophise about
>the future of the phone system predict that they could run COMPLETELY out
>of 7 digit numbers in less than 15 years, forcing a shift to 8 or 9 digits
>for all of us, worldwide.  (I think there are areas in Europe where the
>change has already started, but not necessarily for the same reason.)
>Just THINK of all the infrastructure and conventions that will upset!

Hello...  Europe has variable length phone numbers.  Has for at least
as long as I've had reason to phone in that direction.  Are the US and
Canada the only countries with fixed length phone numbers?  Maybe we
should adopt the metric system on Jan 1, 2000.  That will give people
something to do while the economy is recovering from Y2K...   :-)

-Mitch

--
                     "Families can't trust Disney"