Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1998)

Subject: The -request debate
From: Mike Nolan <nolan @ celery . tssi . com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 08:47:24 -0500 (CDT)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . com (List Managers)

Stephanie da Silva wrote:

> I don't mind if someone has list-request aimed at a person or an auto-
> responder, so long as you get something or someone that responds back
> (although there are too many listowners out there who simply do not
> read list admin mail/write back - different issue).
>
> What I don't like are implementations that point it at the listserver
> or at an autosubscriber.

I guess I'm not clear what the difference is between an 'autoresponder'
and an 'autosubscriber'.  Some kind of automated intelligence at the -request
address strikes me as a Good Thing.  And if that encompasses looking for
obvious subscribe and unsubscribe requests (and returning a confirmation
cookie for the former), then that strikes me as a Very Good Thing.

In my case, anything that doesn't readily parse returns the help file,
which among other things says that if you can't get the desired results
write to [my address].  But it also says to let me know that you've
already tried the -request address, because my default response to
that kind of e-mail is to send the exact same help file.  (And I made it
easy for myself by setting up listinfo @
 tssi .
 com as an address which does
that, so all I have to do is 'bounce' mail to it.)

Intelligence at the LIST address to try to catch some of the 'help me get
uns*bscribed from this &^%^%$ list' messages is also a Good Idea.

A question for Chuq:  How do you build properly formatted action requests
by clueless/impatient subscribers into your new paradigm?

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: A really good point against Mike Nolan's idea