Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1998)

Subject: Re: A really good point against Mike Nolan's idea
From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk @ gsp . org>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 16:33:17 -0400
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Tue, Jun 16, 1998 at 07:28:59PM +0200, Norbert Bollow wrote:
> A) Those who use relatively little bandwidth, but profit greatly from
>    the wealth of information available on the net.
>
> B) Those who use a lot of bandwidth but also contribute valuable
>    information (in posts to mailing lists, web pages, etc. etc.)
>
> C) Those who use a lot of bandwidth but don't contribute to the value
>    of the net as a whole.

I would suggest adding to this:

B') Those who use relatively little bandwidth but also contribute valuable
information ([...]).

I live -- mostly -- on the far end of a 28.8 PPP link.  I *can't* use
a lot of bandwidth even if I want to. ;-)  But I maintain half a dozen
FAQs, several websites for nonprofit organizations, run mailing lists,
hunt spammers, work on software projects, and do a lot of other things
(none of which I'm paid to do) that I hope make a meaningful contribution
to the 'net community.  It's payback.  (And it's fun.  Mostly.)

I think a great many people fall into B', and I think that attempting
to meter Internet service by the packet will make it financially
impossible for them to make their contributions.  Further, I think
the people in B' are largely responsible for most of the interesting
and useful things that happen on the 'net: very little of enduring
consequence comes from the corporate sector by comparison.

---Rsk
Rich Kulawiec
rsk @
 gsp .