Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1998)

Subject: Re: A really good point against Mike Nolan's idea
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 15:30:31 -0700
To: Rich Kulawiec <rsk @ gsp . org>, List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 1:33 PM -0700 6/16/98, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 16, 1998 at 07:28:59PM +0200, Norbert Bollow wrote:

> I would suggest adding to this:
>
> B') Those who use relatively little bandwidth but also contribute valuable
> information ([...]).

You know, it sounds like we're trying to re-invent the capitalist
society, where people who create things get paid by those who consume
them....

The internet, fortunately and unfortunately, is more of a pure anarchy,
where whatever you pay for it has little relevance to what you put in
or take out of it. You pay your ISP, but your ISP doesn't buy the
things you actually use, except at a very isolated (and philosophical)
level -- hence people's tendency to view all this stuff as "free", and
treat is as such...

--
Chuq Von Rospach (Hockey fan? <http://www.plaidworks.com/hockey/>)
Apple Mail List Gnome (mailto:chuq @