Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1998)

Subject: Re: Finding A Listowner
From: Todd Vierling <tv @ pobox . com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 15:55:03 -0400 (EDT)
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:

: > When Chuq says it wasn't
: > designed without feedback from the key players, what key players does he
: > have in mind here?
:
: To my knowledge, the ListServ folks had never heard of the RFC. Neither
: have the majordomo people. I don't know about the ListProc people (but
: I don't care, either... grin). But between ListServ and Majordomo,
: that's probably about 90-95% of the extant mail servers out there.

And LISTSERV has, as the Lsoft rep who chimed in noted, been delivering
mailing lists for over 15 years - dating back to the glory days of BITNET.
Majordomo doesn't even go half as far.  LISTSERV implements a human at
-request, and Majordomo a machine.  Talk about botched RFCs, especially
trying to standardize something already so contrasting in practice....

What do I do?  I implement a MLM at -request, which is supposedly what the
RFC says.  Not because I want to, but because the software (petidomo) is
hardwired that way.  I'm writing my own list manager now because I've yet to
see someone Do It Right, for free, in a language other than the
high-overhead perl.

--
-- Todd Vierling (Personal tv @
 pobox .

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: integrated delivery system