Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1998)

Subject: Re: Pentium II Xeon Processor - Product Launch Briefing
From: Bill Houle <bhoule @ conveyanced . com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 13:43:33 -0700
To: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg @ monkeys . com>
Cc: Bill Garnett <billg @ mmgco . com>, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 12:35 PM 6/19/98 -0700, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

>OK.  Add it all up and this still comes out with a slightly negative spam
>coefficient.  In short, unless you are a real hard-core purist, it wasn't
>spam.

Too many terms. There is Spam (unwanted, forged, solicitous). There is UCE
(unwanted, commercial). There is UBE (unwanted, bulk marketing). Call me a
purist, but its all the same to me. Essentially, anything I didn't ask for
is Spam. Even if I am on a Web list, I don't like Web product
announcements. Just because the list may aimed at a particular audience
does not make targetted marketing valid. Only when it is a list maintained
by the mfgr is it acceptable. Otherwise, I never signed up for that kind of
junk.

Although there was no exchange of $$ proposed in this mail, there was still
some obvious marketing involved. I could accept that  it was just an
off-topic post, but the fact that list-managers could hardly be confused
with something Intel/CPU-oriented makes the whole thing rather suspect and
I am not quite willing to be so tolerant. Forgiving, yes. Tolerant, no.

--bill