Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1998)

Subject: RE: Finding A Listowner
From: "Andy Finkenstadt" <andyf @ simutronics . com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 12:24:40 -0500
To: <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>, "'Eric Thomas'" <ERIC @ VM . SE . LSOFT . COM>

How do we account for sf-lovers-request being the one of the first (if not
THE first) mailing list to use -request as the place to send subscription
requests?  I remember joining that list long before 1993, perhaps as early
as 1988 or 1985.  The -request address has been known to be where you talk
to something that helps you, be it animal vegetable or mineral, for at least
that long.

As early as 1990 I personally had software running (with human backup) on
a -request address on a UUCP equipped link with a small little Interactive
Unix (version 2.0.2!) for a small private mailing list of GEnie subscribers.

Andy