Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1998)

Subject: Re: This month's winner: least helpful bounce message.
From: Raven <raven @ Tribe . OnlineToday . com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 19:04:52 -0500
To: Lone Deranger <memory @ blank . org>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Ooooooo...glad to see I am not the only one stuck in hell. :0)  You have
been the wonderful winner of a message squeezed through a Banyan Vines mail
system.  I recognized that nightmarish syntax the moment I saw it.

Inside their local net they can use the format username @
 group@server and
Banyan systems understand it, they then have to squeeze it through an SMTP
gateway (that is what Incognito is, the couple of places I am aware of
running Banyan networks use it).  The braindead thing is supposed to replace
the extra "@" and any spaces (another part of the internal nightmare is that
you can use spaces in user IDs in Banyan Vines) with something more
innocuous, but somebody seems to have screwed their site up big time.  Lemme
know if you want to shudder in horror together sometime.  *cold shiver*

Raven

At 04:28 PM 6/18/98 -0400, you wrote:

>Anybody out there have any idea what nightmarish cruft generated
>this one?  I'm torn between droll amusement and an overwhelming
>desire to cram the DSN RFCs down the author's throat, by hand,
>inscribed on stone tablets.
>
>-Nathan J. Mehl
> postmaster @
 blank .
 org

>-----Forwarded message from MAILER-DAEMON @
 Vines2 .
 WAU .
 NL-----

>Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 22:16:22 -0200
>From: MAILER-DAEMON @
 Vines2 .
 WAU .
 NL
>Subject: Undeliverable Message
>To: anacam-owner-Abco .
 deBuck=ALG .
 ABE .
 WAU .
 NL @
 bigtime .
 blank .
 org
[snip]

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Finding A Listowner