Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1998)

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk @ gsp . org>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 16:18:54 -0500
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Fri, Dec 18, 1998 at 11:01:35AM -0600, Stephanie da Silva wrote:
> But my question to you
> is, what would you think of a third party forwarding administrative
> requests to you/your listserver via their web interface?

I don't think it should be done without the acquiescence of each
list-owner.  If I wanted a web interface to facilitate subscriptions
to the mailing lists that I run, I'd have one.  However, I do not,
and I think it's very intrusive for someone else to presume that I
do and set one up on my behalf.

This also creates a scalability and updating problem: when I transplant
a mailing list to a new location (something I'm just about to do with
one of mine) how do I get one or more web sites not under my direct
control to update their references to my mailing lists *exactly*
when I want them to?  Or what happens if I change the MLM that
handles list sub/unsub operations?

In case it isn't obvious: I think this is a very bad idea for both
technical and netiquette reasons.

---Rsk
Rich Kulawiec
rsk @