Subject: Re: Subject Prefix
From: "Bernie Cosell" <bernie @ rev . net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 07:46:58 -0400
To: <List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

On 28 Jun 99, at 21:09, Charles Bruce, Stewart wrote:

> Sorting is immensely simplified by the use of subject prefixes.

UGH.  I hate subject prefixes.  Could you explain what is made better
by using subject prefixes rather than just selecting on

Sender: list-managers-owner @
 GreatCircle .
 COM

???

> well it could make tha difference between my being able to stay on this fine list here or not,
> & I imagine the same is true with others.

I would doubt it --- I would think that most folk for whom email-
traffic-flow is a problem or consideration would have long-since
mastered the filtering/sorting machinery of their mail client, no?
and such mastery renders using list-prefixes  irrelevant [the case is
slightly different for _subject_ prefixes, where what you have, in
essence, is several mailing lists siamesed onto one, and the subject-
prefixes distinguish traffic among the various "sublists"]

  /Bernie

--
Bernie Cosell                   Roanoke Electronic Village
mailto:bernie @

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Identifying lists in headers - was Re: Subject Prefix