Subject: Re: Subject Prefix
From: Gary E Bickford <garyb @ mynext>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 99 05:23:18 -0500
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

From: "Bernie Cosell" <bernie @
 rev .
 net>

>On 28 Jun 99, at 21:09, Charles Bruce, Stewart wrote:
>
>> Sorting is immensely simplified by the use of subject prefixes.
>
>UGH.  I hate subject prefixes.  Could you explain what is made
>better  by using subject prefixes rather than just selecting on

Gee, this takes me back - about 2 years ago I used the free version
of Eudora which at that time didn't have filters.  The sun-managers
list averaged (it seemed) about 250 messages a day, and the PHP
list was nearly as busy.  PHP used subject prefix, sun-managers
didn't.  I was fairly new on the sun-managers list, and I proposed
adopting prefixes.  I was immediately and roundly flamed from all
parts of the globe.  I've never again had such a vitriolic response
to anything I've ever posted anywhere!

Nowadays it does seem that every mail client has at least some form
of filters.  The only exception I can think of is folks, some of
whom I know personally, whose email is pine on someone else's unix
machine who don't have a way to install procmail (which let's admin
ain't that much fun to set up the first time anyway).  So I
sympathise, to an extent.  However, it's true there's prefix-lists
and no-prefix lists, and both groups are pretty adamant about
staying that way.

CBS, you're probably going to have to either find a client that
does filters, or convince a friend (your ISP?) to run procmail and
filter the prefix into the headers for you before forwarding the
mail on to you.

Hmm, I might even consider building a procmail-based email-to-XML
gateway and really impress the girls.

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Subject Prefix