Subject: Re: Subject Prefix
From: Jeremy Blackman <loki @ maison-otaku . net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 02:47:59 -0700 (PDT)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . com

[snip]

I think this may be one of those things where there is no 'right' or
'wrong' way, just opinions.  The best I can think of is to make the
list software have the ability to put it either way on a per-subscriber
basis; a feature JT and I have been planning to add to Listar for a while
but haven't yet.

I -will- note that the people who usually want list subject prefixes are
the ones who do NOT know how to use mail filters, or are using things like
Microsoft Outlook, where procmail isn't an option.  My general opinion is
that for lists (like this one) where the clue factor of the users is
generally a little higher, it's fine to leave the subject prefix off.
Someone who wants it probably can use procmail or something similar to add
it.

However, on a list where the clue factor may be lower, I figure if enough
people complain, it's better to put the subject tag IN, and let the
clueful users (who, again, probably know how to use procmail) make a
procmail rule to strip the tags if they feel that strongly.

Just my $0.02 + sales tax.

--Loki
  loki @
 maison-otaku .