From: Jeffrey Goldberg <J . Goldberg @ Cranfield . ac . uk>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 05:41:01 +0100 (BST)
To: arielle @ taronga . com
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Fri, 9 Jul 1999 arielle @
 taronga .
 com wrote:

> Was just now preusing eGroups to see what they've done since their
> site redesign and discovered they have a lot of non-eGroups lists
> in there now.

Findmail used to only archive third party lists, and egroups swallowed
findmail a few years ago.  In fact, that is how one of my
majordomo-based lists got there.

> Each non-eGroups list -- that I've looked at so far, just a couple --
> have a "Join this eGroup" button, so it looks like they have set up a
> third-party subscribe interface.

Unfortunately not.  You need to "join" the list at eGroups in order to
read the archive.  This really has confused a number of my list members.

In addition to the one group that they inherited from findmail, in January
this year I got them to archive another majordomo-based list.  This was
possible through their create new list mechanism.  The difficulty was
getting them to put up the old material.  Findmail was very good about
this.  They had an ftp site into which you uploaded your own archives and
they'd have it added in a day.  eGroups offers the same basic service, but
it took four months before they managed to make use of the majordomo
archive I uploaded.  Plus it was nearly impossible to get in touch with a
human.  When I finally did get a response from a human, the response was
such a non-sequiter that I thought I was talking to a very badly designed
bot.

Basically, I thought that findmail did a good job at this sort of thing,
and egroups is keeping workign redirects for the old findmail URLs, so
I'm sticking with egroups.  But I am not happy with their archiving and
system for third party lists.  Maybe I will take a closer look at
liszt/topica.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg                +44 (0)1234 750 111 x 2826
 Cranfield Computer Centre      FAX         751 814