Subject: Re: eGroups.com: You have been added to the list-managers eGroup.
From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman @ civicnet . org>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 07:18:08 -0400 (EDT)
To: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg @ monkeys . com>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Fri, 9 Jul 1999, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> >On Fri, 9 Jul 1999, Stephanie da Silva wrote:
> >
> >> As I mentioned before, I tried subscr|bing to the
> >> list-managers list at eGroups and got this welcome message.
> >> As you can see, it's marked as being at eGroups but it is

> I am hardly a law historian, but I would wager that there has rarely, if
> ever, been any such thing as a class action copyright infringement suit.
>
> Anyway, perhaps the participants on this list, in particular, might want
> to band together and make some legal history.

I'd participate in such a suit.  But.... I can see two problems:

i. the legal work in a class action suit is usually done by a law firm
that smells large amount of dollars in the eventual outcome

ii. I expect that if we brought a class action suit, eGroups.com would
simply stop doing what they're doing and argue that they haven't caused
anybody serious monetary harm -- hence no large amounts of dollars to pay
legal bills

As a more immediate strategy:  we can all start putting a few lines in our
welcome messages saying something like:

"This list is managed and sponsored by <whomever>.  It is NOT provided by
eGroups .... etc., etc."

We could do a lot to at least damage their credibility and good name -
which might have a faster result than the legal route.

The Center for Civic Networking 	    PO Box 600618
Miles R. Fidelman, President &		    Newtonville, MA 02460-0006
Director, Municipal Telecommunications
Strategies Program			    617-558-3698 fax: 617-630-8946
mfidelman @
 civicnet .
 org	 		    http://civic.net/ccn.html

Information Infrastructure: Public Spaces for the 21st Century
Let's Start With: Internet Wall-Plugs Everywhere
Say It Often, Say It Loud: "I Want My Internet!"