Subject: Re: eGroups.com: You have been added to the list-managers
From: Tim Pierce <twp @ rootsweb . com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 15:23:11 -0400
To: Stephanie da Silva <arielle @ Taronga . COM>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Sat, Jul 10, 1999 at 11:25:43AM -0500, Stephanie da Silva wrote:
> I was reading some old threads on the eGroups list-managers archive
> and found an thread from 1996 warning that FindMail was subscribing
> to lists and archiving them without permission.  They've been doing
> this a while.  But I don't recall seeing any non-eGroups lists like
> this until recently.

They're not merely archiving third-party lists -- they're completely
rebranding them.  The list-managers welcome message you received
describes the list as the "list-managers eGroup" and tells you to post
to the list by sending mail to "list-managers @
 egroups .
 com".  There is
no indication that eGroups is not really the generous benefactor for
the list-managers mailing list.

It's a nice way to sleaze up to your competition.

--
Regards,
Tim Pierce