Subject: Re: per-user subject tag option (was Subject Prefix)
From: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ Mcs . Net>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 10:44:40 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Bernie Cosell asekd me,

| And if one of the 'tagged' people does a 'reply to list', will the MLM
| REMOVE the tag as it goes through to the tag-free folk?

Currently, no, but please read on.

| If not, then
| that might well be the ugliest/worst of the solutions: now I'll have mail
| in my inbox *both* "Re: this subject" _and_ "Re: [MYLIST] this subject"
| (depending on who contributed to the thread), and I don't know about
| yours, but my mail client won't sort those correctly [and so I won't be
| able to follow the thread particularly].

"Ugliest/worst" might be an exaggeration, but I understand the objection.  My
list is quiet enough that it's not been a problem (if a list has three to six
posts on a typical day, you can thread by eye).  I've seen it occur on busier
lists as well, and as far as I know nobody has found it to be too annoying.

If it did become a problem, I'd change the tag to include brackets (at
present I have no brackets on it, because they'd just push the real subject
another two characters out of view; however, the tag is an abbreviation that
can legtimately appear in a real subject, so if I were to start deleting it,
I'd need a way to distinguish its appearance as a tag from its appearance
with integral meaning) and then remove it from the subjects of incoming
posts.  Tagged people would see it reinserted and never notice the difference.

Right now I have only one subscriber on the tag option, there are no extra
SMTP transactions because there are no other subscribers on his site, and
Bernie's concern doesn't come into play because this fellow hasn't posted in
three years.  (Also, if I could shut the rest of my life up and concentrate,
I could do something that would enable him to get off tagging, leaving nobody
at all.)  In the past, yes, once in a while someone on the tag option would
follow up, leaving the tag in; the list is quiet enough that it was never a
problem.  As it will become even quieter after May, 2000, and likely close
within two years after that, I expect not to run into that problem at all.