Subject: eGroup - What's with the clause?
From: matthew . simpson @ erols . com
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 20:10:38 -0700
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

I'm considering moving my list of 500+ folks to eGroup.  But I'm
concerned about the first message in the attached clause of their legal
agreement.  Does this basically sign the list over to them?

On the one hand, I think I'm reading that this allowed them to repost
the material in any form, and that this ensures the channel of
distribution.  On the other hand, this first sentence doesn't have the
for-the-end-users language that the later sentences have.  What do you
think?

- Matthew Simpson - Listowner since 1990

YOUR PROPRIETARY RIGHTS
You agree that upon posting any material within a group open to the
public on the Service, you grant eGroups, and its successors and
assigns, a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty free, perpetual,
non-revocable license under your copyrights or other intellectual
property rights, if any, in such material, to use, distribute, display,
reproduce, and create derivative works from such material in any and
all media, in any manner, in whole or part, without any duty to account
to you. You further agree that upon posting any material within a
private, members-only group on the Service, you grant eGroups, and its
successors and assigns, a non-exclusive worldwide, royalty free,
perpetual, non-revocable license under your copyrights or other
intellectual property rights, if any, in such material to distribute,
display, and reproduce such material to other members of that group.
You also grant eGroups the right to authorize the downloading and
printing in whole or in part of any material that you have posted to a
group on the Service, by endusers for their personal use.

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re[2]: per-user subject tag option (was Subject Prefix)