Subject: Re: eGroup - the Sanity Clause...
From: John R Levine <johnl @ iecc . com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 14:21:01 -0400 (EDT)
To: Tim Bowden <tcbowden @ clovis . nerdnosh . org>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

> > I'm considering moving my list of 500+ folks to eGroup.  But I'm
> > concerned about the first message in the attached clause of their legal
> > agreement.  Does this basically sign the list over to them?
>
> Just an attempt at looking at the other side before the onslaught
> of Privacy Proctors; let me say that I would not operate eGroup
> or any like service without a similar clause.

Me neither, but the eGroups agreement is a typical piece of mindless legalese
that was clearly written by a lawyer who thought it was his job to craft an
agreement which was as one-sided in favor of his client as can be.

It's not hard to write an agreement that protects the interests of the list
host without requiring that users sign over complete rights to every bit of
data that passes within 20 miles of them.  Geocities backpedalled a lot, I
don't see why eGroups couldn't as well.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl @
 iecc .
 com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Finger for PGP key, f'print = 3A 5B D0 3F D9 A0 6A A4  2D AC 1E 9E A6 36 A3 47