Subject: Re: eGroup - the Sanity Clause...
From: "Bernie Cosell" <bernie @ fantasyfarm . com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 14:14:09 -0400
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On 11 Aug 99, at 7:13, Tim Bowden wrote:

> matthew .
 simpson @
 erols .
 com writes:

> > I'm considering moving my list of 500+ folks to eGroup.  But I'm
> > concerned about the first message in the attached clause of their legal
> > agreement.  Does this basically sign the list over to them?
>
> Just an attempt at looking at the other side before the onslaught
> of Privacy Proctors; let me say that I would not operate eGroup
> or any like service without a similar clause.  If you have hundreds
> coming through your doors, you will have the dissatisfied, you will
> even have the unstable, and a standard Twit-Off Turn calls for the
> disabused dud to demand under legal threat all her/is treasures be
> removed on those premises.  Another possibility (this one I haven't
> experienced) is a demand for "royalties" from their various maggot
> opusii.
>
> Would anyone here open up a list management operation without any
> sort of understanding about the goods posted?  Would you, in this
> day and age, enter into any bargain at all without some agreement
> about the product?

Of course not.  But to run the MLM would I need an unrestricted,
perpetual license?  I think not.  If the rights they were asking were
_limited_ in some reasonable way I doubt there would be a problem [go
look at the new Geocities license, for example].  No one is saying that
there should be *NO* agreement nor understanding, but only that many of
us think that that is **MUCH** broader than they need for any rational,
business, or CYA purposes...  they can get all the protection they need
for their operation with a MUCH more limited license.

  /Bernie\
mailto:bernie @
 fantasyfarm .
 com     Pearisburg, VA