Subject: Re: eGroup - the Sanity Clause...
From: murr rhame <murr @ vnet . net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 16:05:26 -0400 (EDT)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

I'm curious how well the "agreement" would hold up in court.  As
far as I know, an author doesn't relinquish their copyright just
because they post an item to a mailing list.  I don't believe you
can force someone to accept an agreement by making a one-sided
declaration.  If the subscribers have not formally accepted the
proposal, how can it be binding?

As an extreme example of this principle, if I declare that by
reading this article, you now owe me $1,000,000.00US should I
expect payment?  No court would attempt to enforce my million
dollar proposal unless I had formal proof that someone accepted
my deal.

- murr -