Subject: Re: eGroup - the Sanity Clause...
From: murr rhame <murr @ vnet . net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 22:31:24 -0400 (EDT)
To: Tim Bowden <tcbowden @ nerdnosh . org>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Wed, 11 Aug 1999, Tim Bowden wrote:

> Say you sold an article to Scanlog, the print monthly.  Then
> in a few months, whathell, you decided you wanted to sell it
> to Mosca, too. Should you be able to do that freely?  Is
> Scanlog acting tyrannical in insisting they be the only forum
> for that particular contracted segment? They provided you
> with a stage; what rights accrue from that benefit?

Selling an item to one publication then selling it to another is
not the same as posting to a mailing list at all.  How much do
you pay your subscribers for their posts to the mailing list?
If I post an article to this mailing list, that I wrote entirely
on my own, am I in any way restricted from posting the same
article to another mailing list?  Assuming that I haven't sold
the rights to the article that I wrote and posted, am I not at
liberty to sell MY article to a publication?

- murr -