Subject: Re: eGroup - the Sanity Clause...
From: Tim Bowden <tcbowden @ clovis . nerdnosh . org>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 99 20:05:20 PST
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

murr rhame <murr @
 vnet .
 net> writes:

> Selling an item to one publication then selling it to another is
> not the same as posting to a mailing list at all.  How much do
> you pay your subscribers for their posts to the mailing list?

This turns the question on its head, I think.  We inquire into the
propriety of a resource, publication, forum demanding sole possession of
what it is offered.  I am looking to the contract itself, and
remuneration is but a possible item of that document, for there is no
inherent virtue universally conveyed, in love or print, by the passage
of coin.  I say there is nothing scandalous, unholy, or fattening about
an entity declaring sovereignty over the offerings submitted to it.  I
say it happens all the time, in publishing, film, academics, religion,
and matrimony.  Each of us has the inalienable right to withhold our
submissions if we take the burden of that degree of control as too
onerous, yet to wail against the very idea is like the boy who cried
against the wind.  He contended much to attain little.

mailto:tcbowden @
 clovis .
 nerdnosh .
 org (Tim Bowden)