Subject: Re: eGroup - the Sanity Clause...
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 21:15:14 -0700
To: Tim Bowden <tcbowden @ nerdnosh . org>, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 4:48 PM -0800 8/11/99, Tim Bowden wrote:

Say you sold an article to Scanlog, the print monthly.  Then in a few
months, whathell, you decided you wanted to sell it to Mosca, too.
Should you be able to do that freely?

Depends on what rights you sold. If you sold All Rights, then you're wrong. If you sell first rights and secondary rights, it's perfectly legal.

but in the publishing world, if a publisher buys all rights, they pay more (well, the honest publishers do).

In my time, I've sold a number of pieces, including some all-rights deals. There is no single answer here, because it depends on what the agreements are. and it's up to the author to (a) know what rights they still own and what they don't (and don't sell what they don't own), and (b) for the author not to sell away rights they aren't willing to give up for the price.

(actually, the story we sold all rights to not only made us the most money up front, it ALSO has generated the best royalties, since DC comics has seen fit to reprint it at least three times. They're good enough to pay royalties on it, which many all-rights deals don't allow for, but only they can decide what to do with it (or not), so even if I somehow find a way to publish a "best of" collection, I'd have to buy rights back to use it...)

--
Chuq Von Rospach (Hockey fan? <http://www.plaidworks.com/hockey/>)
Apple Mail List Gnome (mailto:chuq @

The Jedi that I admire most met up with Darth Maul and now he's toast...
   (Weird Al Yankovic - The Saga Begins)