Subject: Re: eGroup - the Sanity Clause...
From: John R Levine <johnl @ iecc . com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 20:55:23 -0400 (EDT)
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

> messages that is "the mailing list". By posting to the list, the
> original author is assiging the right to redistribute to that list,
> in a non-exclusive way. And then eGroups is assigning to itself a
> license based on the collection's copyright.

Hi, it's me again.  I think this argument is backward -- I agree that list
members can't place wierd restrictions on their individual messages, but in
this case eGroups is demanding from the list owner rights that it's not at
all clear that any of his list members have assigned him.  If you send
messages to a mailing list, you clearly are permitting redistribution and
archiving, but it's not at all clear that you're permitting third parties to
sell CD-ROMs with your stuff.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl @
 iecc .
 com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Finger for PGP key, f'print = 3A 5B D0 3F D9 A0 6A A4  2D AC 1E 9E A6 36 A3 47