Subject: Re: eGroup - the Sanity Clause...
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 20:15:07 -0700
To: John R Levine <johnl @ iecc . com>, Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 8:55 PM -0400 8/12/99, John R Levine wrote:

Hi, it's me again.  I think this argument is backward -- I agree that list
members can't place wierd restrictions on their individual messages, but in
this case eGroups is demanding from the list owner rights that it's not at
all clear that any of his list members have assigned him.

If you sign up for a list that has those licenses attached, then you are by your agreeing to be a part of it agreeing to the licenses. It'd be different if those licenses were added retroactively, but if you sign up for a list, you're agreeing to abide by the list rules, no? So I don't see this as an issue -- a user voluntarily agrees to the licenses by signing up (and ignorance or refusing to read the rules doesn't count as a reason to invalidate them....)

chuq
--
Chuq Von Rospach (Hockey fan? <http://www.plaidworks.com/hockey/>)
Apple Mail List Gnome (mailto:chuq @

The Jedi that I admire most met up with Darth Maul and now he's toast...
   (Weird Al Yankovic - The Saga Begins)